12 February 2012

I'm Thinking Of Becoming A Born Again ...Coffee Drinker

As many of you loyal readers who have followed me through the years on older blogs already know, I was once a 20+ cup a day coffee drinker. An addiction I am proud to have quit, I now may have reason and conclusive evidence to support that coffee may indeed not be a bad thing after all.

Dr. Michel Lucas, a Research Fellow at Harvard University, did a study for the Harvard School of Public Health which found that drinking coffee may help protect against Parkinson's disease, diabetes and certain cancers. If that's not enough to have you pouring a cup of java, the investigation also found that women who drink two to three cups of coffee a day (about ten to fifteen ounces) have a FIFTEEN PERCENT lower risk of depression than nondrinkers.

"Caffeine gives you a great boost of energy, " Dr. Lucas said. "A major symptom of depression is losing interest in doing things you love and caffeine can help to remedy that."

I'll never go back to the copious amounts I drank in the past and honestly, even three cups a day is a little excessive for me at this point, but I may go back to sipping one cup a day (and thoroughly enjoying it!!!!) considering this news and even better - WITHOUT feeling guilty about it. ;)